Love can bring the extremes in a person. It can take you to the highest peak if you’re happy yet lead you to the lowest point imaginable if you’re sad. Because of this, like any normal being, everyone makes mistakes and we, women, are not an exception.Here are the top ten (10) cardinal DONT’s every good girlfriend should avoid so as not to scare your guy away and make him running to another woman’s arms.
1. Don’t be a vine. What are the characteristics of a vine? They are naturally green and clingy. For a girl in love, it’s understandable to want to see your boyfriend each chance you get, hear his voice, smell his cologne, or watch him laugh. Love can do that. However, it’s no longer healthy if you lose your own self and become merely his shadow, wanting to know consistently where he is, what’s he’s doing and who he is with. Get a life! Give him privacy and respect his space.
2. Don’t play Rapunzel… daily. There’s a big difference between a damsel in distress and a pain in a butt. It’s a totally different thing to be helpless and to be desperate. Do not be a crazed needy individual. If your act is to be a Rapunzel who wants to be rescued every lil time, even the most patient, persistent prince would get tired climbing that sky-scraping tower if he has to do it time and time again. Worse, he might even tie up your thick long hair to the tree branch so you’d stop pestering him like a kid. Let him need you for a change.
3. Don’t be a soap opera queen. If you’re aiming for Oscar’s or Emmy’s and testing how effective your tears are with your partner, you better think again. Drama won’t get you anywhere. It might have its effect the first few times, but it won’t last long if you make it a habit and become a cry-baby. He would want someone who’s emotionally mature and not an emotional wreck.
4. Don’t be aqua-phobic or cringe at the sight of a comb. Hygiene is important so throw away your fear of water and take a bath everyday. Do not be unhygienic and unappealing. Look for ways to improve your appearance and femininity. Wow him! Wear your hair down or lift it up to have a tantalizing glimpse of your incredibly smooth neck. Let your human pheromones take over and seduce him with your looks, clothes and scent. Nothing is more exciting than a lady who knows how to get her man with just one glance.
5. Don’t be a 24/7 helpdesk agent. It’s all about keeping the spice and allowing him to chase you and you being not so easy to get. There’s nothing wrong being a helpdesk or for being there when he needs you. But then again, learn how to moderate it else you’d end up being his house-help and taken for granted.
6. Don’t be a female version of Magneto. If you’re an XMEN fan, you’d recognize right away that Magneto controls magnetic fields and can manipulate any electromagnetic energy. In this case, avoid being a control freak. Men hates to be controlled, most of all, by women. Don’t be a pushover. We have our own power and if we use it wisely and timely in a non-manipulative way, we can keep our guys satisfied and get what we want at the same time. Give him the upper hand. On the other hand, ensure that he also realizes that you can always turn the table around if you really want to.
7. Don’t be blinded with the “I” letter, there’s also a “U” in the alphabet. Being self-centered will do you no good. Love is a give and take partnership. No matter how high the attraction level is and how strong the pheromones do their work, if you’re too self-absorbed who continuously say “I, I, I” and doesn’t know how to listen, you’d be bound to have a disastrous relationship at one time or another. Educate yourself with the word “compromise”.
8. Don’t be a fortune teller. Never make him feel like you are all knowing and can predict what’s going to happen in the future. They are generally on their guards when it comes to “lifetime commitment”. So, if you have been together for a few months, talking about bells and linens and little bundles of joy at this early stage would surely make him a runner vying for an Olympics gold medal, where the medal is placed in the farthest corner of the earth, zillion miles away from you. If you’re a couple for sometime now, there are several techniques to approach marriage like two adults. On the same note, keep your clairvoyant skills to yourself and prevent reliving the past and ex-es while with him. Once or twice is okay to see his reaction perhaps or gauge if he’d get jealous. More than that is a big NO.
9. Don’t be a Tupperware. Don’t be plastic. Show him the real you. If you’re pleased, be transparent. If you’re down and hurting, do not hesitate to confide in him. Hiding your real self would not be fair to you and to him. Be true. Honesty is the only way to go.
10. Don’t run for the title of “the best martyr in the planet”. What happens to martyrs these days? They die. Sure, in a relationship, you have your own sacrifices to make but it always is and will be a two-way street. Do not always be the one to make the first move in times of a big fight. Do not be too eager to please. Respect yourself and have some pride.